[Home ] [Archive]    
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 22, Issue 2 (Summer 2004) ::
J Dent Sch GYEAR__, 22(2): 347-354 Back to browse issues page
Clinical assessment of the post operation wound infection incidence in 100 impacted third molars at OMFs Dep. School of Shahid Beheshti during 2000
Massoud Yaghmaee Corresponding Author: Dr. *1, Leili Rajabi Dr., Seyyed Amir Saeed Yavari
Abstract:   (7493 Views)

Background & Aim: It is important for dentists and specialists to know about impacted wisdom teeth before and after surgery. In this surgery, postoperative complications like infection, bleeding and etc occur by the extraction of this kind of teeth. In this study, the post operative wound infection associated with 100 surgical operations performed during 2000 at OMFS Dept. Shahid Beheshthi Dental School, are reported (4 weeks follow up).

Method & Material: This descriptive epidemiological study is performed by completing a data form after observation. This investigation is performed on 100 patients who were physically in a fair status. The patients were accessible easily and they examined at the end of the second and third weeks and the existing signs have been registering. The patients who were suspected of the infection have been following within the next 24 hours. At the end, the last following was performed to evaluating the subperiostal infection after one month. Antibiotics were used in the cases which the surgeon had been used micromotor during the surgery. T-test and one – way and chi – square analysis were used for calculation of the data. The conclusion is announced by p value and if the finding were less than 0.05, they were valuable.

Results: The post surgical wound infection rate overall was 6% and the other 94% have passed the usual procedure of recovery. The incidence of infection in the mandible was more than maxilla, and also there was a higher probability of infection in the hard tissue surgery specially in which the surgeon had used micromotor. The triangular flap is caused to infection more than the envelope flap.

Conclusion: Most important findings in 100 impacted third molars (100 patients) were:1. In the complicated impacted third molars (like a Cl III or Cl C depth impaction) a new technique with a high concentration are needed. 2. There was relationship between tooth position, flap design, micromotor using and incidence of wound infection that means in all cases with the symptoms of wound infection, impacted wisdom teeth was in the lower jaw, flap design was triangular and practitioner had been used micromotor for removal of third molar. 3. Rate of wound infection not related to the prophylactic use of antibiotic.

J Dent Sch 2004 22(2): 347 

Keywords: Wound infection, Impacted third molar surgery
Full-Text [PDF 288 kb]   (5066 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Article | Subject: Special
Received: 2006/09/6
Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:


XML     Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Yaghmaee M, Rajabi L, Yavari S A S. Clinical assessment of the post operation wound infection incidence in 100 impacted third molars at OMFs Dep. School of Shahid Beheshti during 2000. J Dent Sch. 2004; 22 (2) :347-354
URL: http://jds.sbmu.ac.ir/article-1-316-en.html

Volume 22, Issue 2 (Summer 2004) Back to browse issues page
مجله دانشکده دندانپزشکی دانشگاه علوم پزشکی شهید بهشتی Shahid Beheshti University Dental Journal
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 3921